Saturday, June 30, 2007

Corn bread and corn pudding

I've gone two days in a row without doing any Pilates. But I did ride my bike to the studio and back today for a total of 10 miles. My wonderful husband accompanied me because I'm a scaredycat when it comes to riding on streets with cars. I insisted on a really terrible route on the way there. He managed to convince me to take a much better route on the way back. Now I think I can do it on my own, especially on a Sunday morning when there won't be so much traffic.

My family came over for dinner tonight. I made corn pudding with freshly picked corn I bought at the farmers' market this morning. We also had a mixed grill of barbecued meats, green beans finished with Moroccan spices and shallots, more of the boy's chili-cheese corn bread, homemade grissini (bread sticks), and oatmeal, cherry, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I know, it sounds like a lot of corn. But the two dishes were very different. One was a bread and the other was more of a custard. If we lived before the advent of refrigeration, we'd probably eat whatever is in season, perhaps several different ways in one day, if not in one meal. Certainly there were no complaints from the diners!

No comments: