Thursday, July 3, 2008

Not the summer I expected (Pilates update)

Laurie’s Pilates Update June 2008

1. Private, personal, peaceful Pilates

2. Dude, where’s my core?

3. Learning about shoulder rehab the hard way


1. Private, personal, peaceful Pilates

Clients keep telling me how much they enjoy the beauty and tranquility of my garden studio. Come experience the power of Pilates in a quiet, nurturing environment.


Private sessions 1 for $54, 5 for $245, 10 for $440

Duet* sessions 1 for $64 ($32 each), 5 for $300 ($150 each), 10 for $560 ($280 each)

* In Pilates jargon, a duet is a semi-private lesson - two people sharing one instructor (sorry, no singing). Clients choose duets for several reasons; they cost less, an exercise partner can be motivating, and it’s fun. You can find your own partner or let me match you up with someone. Please note; I need to work privately with each person at least once, duets are not appropriate for all clients.

2. Dude, where’s my core?

I continue to offer workplace workshops on upper body releases and strategies for preventing repetitive strain injuries (RSI). During these 45 minute group lessons I teach both standing and sitting exercises, all of which can be done in casual business attire without getting sweaty or wrinkled. Participants learn effective ways to stretch shoulder, neck, and back muscles, sit and stand with good alignment, relieve muscle tension, reduce pain, and prevent injury. A perfect “stretch break” for intensive training seminars or conferences, Dude, where’s my core? is serious exercise that’s fun. $150, plus travel in excess of 5 miles.

3. Learning about shoulder rehab the hard way

While visiting New Orleans a couple weeks ago I took a fall and broke my right shoulder. It’s been pinned back together and I’m healing well. I’ve already learned a lot about pain management and anticipate becoming quite the expert on exercises to regain shoulder strength and flexibility. Fortunately, my mentor insisted I learn how to talk clients through their exercises so I can teach even while in a sling. My goal: push-ups in three months. Stay tuned.

No comments: