Friday, July 18, 2008

SRD2 (shoulder rehab day 2 for you newbies)

Day 2; less than 48 hours since the surgery to remove my pins. My shoulder is still sore, but bearable with a minimum of medication. Which brings me to the fact that in addition to rehabbing my shoulder I am also detoxing from seven weeks of narcotics.

Since my shoulder collided abruptly with the sidewalk in New Orleans, I've taken morphine, Demerol, Dilaudid, and Vicodin, but mostly it was Percoset. I've had a bottle of Percoset in my pocket or by my beside at all times. I counted the remaining pills and calculated the days before my second surgery, computed the average number of pills consumed per day and considered various back-up plans for securing more pills if I should run out. I think it is safe to say that I was drug-dependent and I don't think it is a stretch to think that I could be addicted.

I've already experienced some of the classic withdrawal symptoms; stomach upset, sleeplessness, anxiety, and muscle pain. But I'll never know if it's a result of actual physical dependence or a product of compulsively researching Percoset withdrawal for the past three weeks. Either way, none of the symptoms are particularly intense.

I'm going to go with "over-active imagination" rather than "strung-out middle-aged mom."

Rehab goals for SRD2: walk around the block and bake a cake.

No comments: